|Released||July 13, 2007 - August 3, 2007|
|Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Chronology|
Yakusamashi-hen (厄醒し編 Disaster Awakening Chapter?) is an anime-only arc that was introduced in the first episodes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, at the request of Ryukishi07. It was added to include important plot details that were left out of the first season of the anime adaptation by Studio Deen. The story is told from the perspective of Satoko Houjou as she grows increasingly concerned with Rika Furude's odd behavior.
Deaths and Disappearances
All deaths and disappearances are listed only as they are told in Yakusamashi-hen and apply only for the individual arc, not the overall series.
- Jirou Tomitake kills himself on the Watanagashi Festival by clawing out his throat.
- Miyo Takano dies on the night of the Watanagashi Festival.
- Kyousuke Irie commits suicide by overdosing on sleeping pills.
- Katsuya Kumagai shot in his vehicle by a Yamainu soldier.
- Rika Furude disemboweled in front of the shrine.
- Everyone in Hinamizawa not listed otherwise, wiped out during the Great Hinamizawa Disaster due to gas poisoning.
- Satoko Houjou murdered by the hospital by a nurse but made to resemble acute heart failure.
- Satoshi Houjou disappears in 1982 after the Watanagashi Festival.
- Rena Ryuuguu goes missing in the Great Hinamizawa disaster (GHD) with only her blood stained hat found.
- Around twenty villagers of Hinamizawa also missing in the GHD.