Ciconia no Naku Koro ni
|Ciconia no Naku Koro ni|
(Kikonia no Naku Koro ni)
|Genre||Drama, Science fiction|
Ciconia no Naku Koro ni (キコニアのなく頃に) is the fifth installment of the When They Cry franchise written by Ryukishi07 and produced by 07th Expansion. It serves as the spiritual successor Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni. Unlike the previous When They Cry works, Ciconia no Naku Koro ni takes place in a more open environment, a departure from the isolated locations of Hinamizawa and Rokkenjima. It follows the Gauntlet Knights, a group of human superweapons that struggle to maintain the balance of world peace.
The narrative of the story is advanced using a Doomsday Clock, a symbol indicating the "minutes to midnight" as the likelihood of a man-made global catastrophe.
Ciconia no Naku Koro ni takes place after the end of World War III. It follows the Gauntlet Knights – young people trained to use a powerful new military technology called the Gauntlet who have become the sole military force of every major nation. The Gauntlet Knights have maintained peace across the world; however the onset of a fourth world war throws their lives into jeopardy.
The game was first announced by 07th Expansion on December 30, 2016. Concurrent with the 07th Expansion Party "5" event on April 1, 2017, the official 07th Expansion website was updated with a teaser image depicting the Dubai skyline with a feather in the foreground. On July 14, 2018, 07th Expansion announced that the game was to be released alongside Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saku in the winter of 2018. On November 29, 2018, 07th Expansion delayed the release date to the summer of 2019 and released a teaser trailer revealing the official name Ciconia no Naku Koro ni . At Sakura-Con 2019, Ryukishi07 and video game publisher MangaGamer announced that they would release the game for Microsoft Windows, simultaneously in English and Japanese, coinciding with Summer Comiket 2019 on August 9, 2019. In July 2019, however, 07th Expansion announced that the game had been delayed until late September 2019. Witch Hunt released a demo version of the game in order to test the scripting engine. A second demo, containing two additional data fragments (Ciconia's version of the TIPS system), was released on September 27. Phase 1 of the game was later delayed to October 4, 2019, coinciding with the first in-universe day of Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
During the 07th Expansion Party stream on November 11, 2020, it was announced at Phase 2 of Ciconia no Naku Koro ni would be indefinitely delayed due to concerns over the subject matter and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- ↑ umezawa_report (1 April 2017). "「新作なく頃に」タイトル「◯◯のなく頃に」ではあるがタイトルに意味がありすぎるため直前まで伏せたい #07thparty5" (Tweet). Archived from the original on 3 April 2017 – via Twitter.
- ↑ 07th_official (30 December 2016). "「昨日のコミケにうみねこレイヤーさんたちが居たと、スタッフに聞きました…。寒い中、僕の作品の衣装を選んでいただき本当にありがとうございます。 次回の「なく頃に」シリーズは、2017年始動予定です。「ひぐらし」「うみねこ」とはガラーッと変わった作品にするつもりです！よいお年を！（竜）" (Tweet). Archived from the original on 3 April 2017 – via Twitter.
- ↑ 07th_official (14 July 2018). "今冬、2作品同時発表予定…ッ！！ ■07th Expansion 完全新作「●●のなく頃に(仮)」 ■原作ソフトオールインパック＋新シナリオ１本＋α 「うみねこのなく頃に 咲(さく)」 原画・シナリオ 竜騎士07 メインスクリプター ナカオボウシ @tempo_kouhou メイングラフィック れもたろ @remotaro" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ↑ 07th_official (29 November 2018). "07thExpansion on Twitter: "2019年夏、07th Expansion 完全新作【キコニアのなく頃に】 ティザームービー公開！ 原画・シナリオ 竜騎士07 メインスクリプター ナカオボウシ @tempo_kouhou メイングラフィック・彩色 れもたろ @remotaro ＯＰテーマ歌唱 澤田真里愛 @DayoMaria t.co/GXHsjE4nAJ ※再生画質1080p推奨… t.co/LKMNcAa4Kc"" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ↑ Wong, Alistair (2019-04-20). "Ciconia When They Cry Is Releasing In The West Simultaneously With Japan". Siliconera. w:Curse, Inc. Archived from the original on 2019-04-23. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- ↑ Romano, Sal (2019-07-15). "Ciconia When They Cry and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saku delayed to late September; Ciconia opening movie". Gematsu. Archived from the original on 2019-07-15. Retrieved 2019-07-15.
- ↑ Official Witch Hunt Twitter account https://twitter.com/witchhunt_ot/status/1177508391687639041