Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2008 film)
|Higurashi no Naku Koro ni|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ataru Oikawa|
|Produced by||Hiroshi Hasegawa|
|Screenplay by||Ataru Oikawa|
|Music by||Kenji Kawai|
|Distributed by||Phantom Film (JP)|
Shochiku Company (WW)
|May 10, 2008|
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (ひぐらしのなく頃に, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, lit. When the Cicadas Cry), known internationally as Shrill Cries of Summer, is a mystery psychological horror film directed by Ataru Oikawa adapted from the visual novel of the same name. The film follows the first story arc, Onikakushi-hen.
A sequel entitled Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Chikai was released in 2009.
Early summer, Keiichi had just moved to a remote mountain village. As he becomes close friends with a group of girls, he was enjoying his life in the village. However when he starts to become suspicious that Rena, Mion and the others that Keiichi trusted may be deeply involved in successive murders that occur every summer, the situation around Keiichi gradually starts to turn. As if the girls' characters had completely changed, a sewing needle is found in his food, he is chased by mysterious men, and is involved in an accident which could have killed him. He could no longer trust anyone, and then... One mystery leads to another, bringing out a shockingly bloody ending!!!
- Gōki Maeda as Keiichi Maebara
- Airi Matsuyama as Rena Ryuuguu
- Rin Asuka as Mion Sonozaki
- Aika as Rika Furude
- Erena Ono as Satoko Houjou
- Ayako Kawahara as Miyo Takano
- Tetta Sugimoto as Kuraudo Ooishi
- Kotaru Tanaka as Kyousuke Irie
- Hitomi Miwa as Rumiko Chie
- Yoko Hoshi as Aiko Maebara
- Zenkichi Yoneyama as Ichirou Maebara
- Series author Ryukishi07 makes a cameo appearance during the Watanagashi Festival.