Last note of the Golden Witch
|Last note of the Golden Witch |
|Released||October 4, 2019|
|Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saku Chronology|
I apologize for the wait. It's been so long now, hasn't it?
Today, we have a souvenir from the depths of oblivion. Do you remember this scent?
The difficulty level is high, in honor of you. Who am i?
Battler Ushiromiya, Ange Ushiromiya, and Beatrice have a tea party together in the Witch's Smoking Room, but quickly realize they have no memory of starting the tea party. The group concludes that they have been dragged onto a new Game Board by an unknown witch. The witch reveals herself; Piece, the Witch of Pieces. She claims that she has been ordered by her master, Featherine Augustus Aurora, to challenge the trio in a new Fragment.
Inside the fragment, Kinzo Ushiromiya is kicking off a Halloween party for the Ushiromiya family, reminiscent of Twilight of the Golden Witch. Piece appears in the fragment and attempts to join the party but is repelled by Shannon's barrier magic. She manages to trick Kyrie and Rudolf Ushiromiya into inviting her inside, bypassing the barrier. Once inside, she uses her magical hair to drown Kyrie and vanish her corpse. In doing so, Piece's powers erase all memory of Kyrie from the fragment and Piece assumes the role of Rudolf's wife. In the Witch's Smoking Room, Piece insinuates that there could have originally been more challengers alongside Battler, Ange, and Beatrice whom Piece had since erased. Piece also states that any potential answer to the fragment must be a consensus between the three. In order to make the mystery more interesting, Beatrice proposes that her group only be given one chance to try and answer the mystery.
Inside the fragment, the six-year-old Ange appears to be the only one who questions Piece's presence. In retaliation, Piece erases her existence. After doing so, Beatrice and Kinzo realize Piece's presence and a battle ensues, pitting Kinzo, Beatrice, Shannon, Kanon, and Genji against Piece. Piece manages to erase all but Beatrice from existence.
The Ange in the Meta-World creates a theory wherein Erika Furudo is the culprit, however Beatrice and Battler cannot agree with this. After some debate, Battler and Ange suddenly realize Piece's true identity: Asumu Ushiromiya. In a world wherein Asumu doesn't die and maintains her position in the Ushiromiya family, Rudolf never marries Kyrie, and Ange would remain an illegitimate child separate from the Ushiromiya family. If Ange is never a part of the Ushiromiya family, then Battler never decides to leave the family and thus is able to continue his relationship with Sayo Yasuda, then known as Shannon. Asumu was unnaturally talented at puzzles and was capable of solving the witch's epitaph. As such, in a world wherein she doesn't die, Asumu not only solves the epitaph but deduces the identity of Sayo Yasuda and gives both Sayo and Battler the epitaph's answer, thus leading them to Kinzo's hidden gold. The now-wealthy Sayo distributes the gold among the siblings, thus relieving the family of their financial troubles. In doing so, Krauss Ushiromiya has no reason to hide Kinzo's death. Furthermore, solving the epitaph early means that the legend of Beatrice the Golden Witch never takes root among the family. In the aftermath of Kinzo's death, Genji leaves the island to live a quiet life.
Ange realizes that this narrative was crafted entirely to cause her pain; If Ange is no longer a part of the Ushiromiya family then the family is seemingly relieved of all of their troubles. This is also why Piece insisted on having her three opponents agree on a single answer; she anticipated that Ange would reject the answer regardless of whether she knew the truth or not. Nonetheless, the trio present the correct answer and Piece uses her powers to erase her own existence from their minds.
The Ushiromiya Family
- Kinzo Ushiromiya
- Krauss Ushiromiya
- Natsuhi Ushiromiya
- Eva Ushiromiya
- Hideyoshi Ushiromiya
- Rudolf Ushiromiya
- Kyrie Ushiromiya
- Rosa Ushiromiya
- Beatrice Ushiromiya
- Jessica Ushiromiya
- George Ushiromiya
- Battler Ushiromiya
- Ange Ushiromiya
- Maria Ushiromiya
Deaths and Disappearances
All deaths and disappearances are listed only as they are told in Last note of the Golden Witch and apply only for the individual arc, not the overall series.
- Kyrie Ushiromiya, drowned in hair and erased from existence during the Ushiromiya Halloween party.
- Ange Ushiromiya, drowned in hair and erased from existence during the Ushiromiya Halloween party.
- Beatrice, drowned in hair and erased from existence during the Ushiromiya Halloween party.
- Shannon, drowned in hair and erased from existence during the Ushiromiya Halloween party.
- Kanon, drowned in hair and erased from existence during the Ushiromiya Halloween party.
- Genji Ronoue, drowned in hair and erased from existence during the Ushiromiya Halloween party.
- The arc is significantly shorter than its predecessors, something which is addressed in-universe as Battler, Beatrice, and Ange instructing Piece to "fast-forward" through the parts of the story that aren't directly connected to the murders.
- The game explicitly mentions a third servant with -on in their name, aside from Shannon and Kanon, who was involved in the fight with Piece but was erased.
- Terumasa Nanjo never appears in Last note, likely because Kinzo's established death means he has no reason to remain on Rokkenjima.