Umineko no Naku Koro ni (anime)
|Umineko no Naku Koro ni|
The cover of the first Japanese DVD compilation released by Geneon Universal Entertainment on October 23, 2009.
(Umineko no Naku Koro ni)
|Genre||Drama, Mystery, Psychological thriller, Supernatural|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Chiaki Kon|
|Licensed by||NIS America|
|Original run||July 2, 2009 – December 24, 2009|
The Umineko no Naku Koro ni (うみねこのなく頃に lit. When the Seagulls Cry?) anime adaptation of the visual novel series of the same name was announced by 07th Expansion and animated by Studio DEEN. The series aired in Japan on Chiba TV from July 2, 2009 to December 24, 2009 and has been licensed in the US by NIS America.
Umineko no Naku Koro ni takes place in the year 1986, during the time frame of October 4 and October 5 on a secluded island named Rokkenjima. The head of a wealthy family named Kinzo Ushiromiya, who lives on and owns Rokkenjima, is near death, and eight of his family members arrive on the island to discuss how Kinzo's assets will be divided once he is dead. Also on the island are three family members who live there, five of Kinzo's servants, and his personal physician. After the eight family members arrive, a typhoon traps them on the island and shortly after people start to get mysteriously murdered.
- Episode 1: I-I Opening
- Episode 2: I-II First Move
- Episode 3: I-III Dubious Move
- Episode 4: I-IV Blunder
- Episode 5: I-V Fool's Mate
- Episode 6: II-I Middle Game
- Episode 7: II-II Early Queen Move
- Episode 8: II-III Weak Square
- Episode 9: II-IV Skewer
- Episode 10: II-V Accept
- Episode 11: II-VI Back Rank Mate
- Episode 12: III-I Castling
- Episode 13: III-II Gambit
- Episode 14: III-III Positional Play
- Episode 15: III-IV Isolated Pawn
- Episode 16: III-V Queening Square
- Episode 17: III-VI Promotion
- Episode 18: III-VII Swindles
- Episode 19: IV-I End Game
- Episode 20: IV-II Zugzwang
- Episode 21: IV-III Prophylaxis
- Episode 22: IV-IV Problem Child
- Episode 23: IV-V Breakthrough
- Episode 24: IV-VI Adjourn
- Episode 25: IV-VII Forced Move
- Episode 26: IV-VIII Sacrifice
- All of the episodes are named after moves in chess.
- Sales of the anime adaption were very poor in Japan.
- There are several plot holes as the anime was created before the completion of Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru, leading to major plot inconsistencies and many of the series' questions becoming unsolvable.