Gensou Rougoku no Kaleidoscope
|Gensō Rōgoku no Kaleidoscope|
(Gensō Rōgoku no Kareidosukōpu)
|Genre||Psychological thriller, horror|
|Released||December 17, 2020|
Four friends who attend high school together as second-year students are kidnapped. Steel collars are placed around their necks, with chains attached to a torture chair in each corner of the room. A large cage dangles from the ceiling, in which a silent young boy dressed in all white is trapped. As the girls try to escape, a voice tells them that they are being put through a test with only two possible outcomes: either everyone will die, or one girl will die and the other three will survive. In addition, everyone will die if they exceed a five-minute time limit. The boy in the cage gives out four Cards of Fate to the girls, which will decide how the story unravels. There are two Judgement cards, a Pierrot card, and a Prisoner card. During the death game, an incident buried in the girls' past emerges.
Gerokasu was first announced as a project titled Sangeki Sandbox (惨劇サンドボックス Sangeki Sandobokkusu?, lit. Tragedy Sandbox) in March 2018. Entergram officially announced the game on August 8, 2019, the same day that the official website opened. The game has been described by Entergram as a "girls mental suspense" game. Former Key artist Itaru Hinoue is the game's artist and character designer. Super deformed art was drawn by Hisashi Senomoto. The scenario was written by Ryukishi07, who came up with the concept for the game after drinking several cups of sake. Hinoue and Ryukishi07 both worked together on Key's 2011 visual novel Rewrite. The music of the game was composed by HiguUmiSound of Higurashi and Umineko fame.
The limited edition releases came bundled with a setting guidebook, a drama CD, the Cards of Fate set, and an acrylic art panel featuring Fūka and Kū-chan. The setting guidebook, titled Official Setting Material Collection "Phantasm Object" (公式設定資料集「Phantasm Object」 Kōshiki Settei Shiryōshū "Phantasm Obujekuto"?), contained character designs, commentary from the cast and staff, and a drama CD script. The drama CD, titled Voice Drama CD "Locked Room Desk Quiz Tournament" (ボイスドラマCD「密室デスクイズ大会」 Boisu Dorama CD "Misshitsu Desukuizu Taikai"?), is an original story where Fūka, Karin, Mina and Doremi are forced to compete in a quiz.
- Agossah, Iyane (September 6, 2019). "Ryukishi07 Penned Kaleidoscope of Phantasm Prison Gets Indefinitely Delayed". DualShockers. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- "Outline" (in Japanese). Entergram. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "Staff Comment" (in Japanese). Entergram. Retrieved March 3, 2020.
- Sherman, Jennifer (August 8, 2019). "Ryukishi07, Itaru Hinoue's Kaleidoscope of Phantasm Prison Game Launches in Japan in Winter". Anime News Network. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "Game and teaser site announcement" (in Japanese). Famitsu. August 8, 2019. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- Agossah, Iyane (August 8, 2019). "Gensou Rougoku no Kaleidoscope Horror Game Penned by Ryukishi07 Announced for PS4, PS Vita, Switch". DualShockers. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- "Products" (in Japanese). Entergram. Retrieved February 26, 2020.
- Gensou Rougoku no Kaleidoscope Launches This November in Japan; Will Have a "Warm Message Full of Love"